Division of Professions and Occupations State of Colorado DORA Division of Professions and Occupations

Plumbing Fee Structure FAQs

Frequently asked questions about Plumbing permits and fees.
  • Can I obtain a permit through the mail? Can I walk-in the permit fee?
  • Answer: Yes, but it is slower and your project cannot commence until the permit is obtained.
  • Do you anticipate future permit fee changes?
  • Answer: Yes. As an agency that is required to cover its expenditures with revenues, a change in permit structure may be necessary due to projected permit income.
  • Can gas piping installations be included in the original plumbing permit?
  • Answer: Yes, as long as the work is included in the fixture/trap count when the permit is obtained. If added later, the permit holder must contact the Denver office to accommodate the changes. Be aware that this could cause a delay in the inspection process.
  • Can shower pan inspections be requested under the plumbing permit?
  • Answer: Yes, unless a different party is doing the work. In this case, the other party must obtain a separate permit.
  • Can additional work be added to an existing permit?
  • Answer: Yes. If additional work is added the permit holder must contact the Denver office
    at 303-894-2300 or dora_plumbingboard@state.co.us to request the changes and pay any extra fee that may be required. Be aware that this could cause a delay in the inspection process.
  • How are modular/mobile home permits requested?
  • Answer: The interior plumbing of a modular/mobile unit is inspected during the assembly process by another agency. The new work required to connect the unit to the gas, water, and sanitary system will be inspected and only the base fee will be required, provided that there is only one inspection. Should additional plumbing be added to the factory plumbing of the modular/mobile unit, additional fees would apply and be charged from the appropriate residential or commercial fee schedule.
  • How many inspections are allowed without incurring re-inspection fees?
  • Answer: Residentially on new construction, three inspections are normally allowed (underground, rough-in, and final). This rule does not apply to commercial construction. Exception: Modular units, residential or commercial, are allowed only one inspection without additional fees.
  • Can homeowners obtain permits and install plumbing in their own home?
  • Answer: Yes, provided it is their home, they plan to reside in the home, and it is not for sale or rent. The work must meet code.
  • Must replacement water heaters be inspected?
  • Answer: Yes. A permit and inspection is required.
  • Do plumbing repairs require a permit?
  • Answer: No. However the definition of what is plumbing and what is not plumbing is in Section 12-58-102 of the Revised Colorado Statutes. These can be found on the plumbing website at http://www.dora.state.co.us/plumbing/index.htm
  • How should detached buildings on the same property be classified?
  • Answer: If the primary property is residential then secondary buildings would be classified as residential and calculated under the corresponding fee schedule. The same would apply for a commercial property.
  • Who can contract for plumbing work?
  • Answer: Only registered plumbing contractors. You can verify contractor registration on Automated Licensure Information System On-Line (ALISON) which can be accessed from our Plumbing website at https://www.doradls.state.co.us/alison
  • Must a contractor be licensed to install gas piping?
  • Answer: No. However a permit and inspection is required.
  • Is the permit issued by DORA valid for all areas within the State of Colorado?
  • Answer: No. Many counties and municipalities have their own inspection departments and if the permit being requested is for property within their jurisdiction, the permit must be obtained from the local jurisdiction. The State of Colorado inspects only areas of the state that have no inspection program of their own.
  • Can additional fees be processed on-line?
  • Answer: Yes. The additional fees can be generated either by the inspector, or the office staff. The additional fee can be paid online.
  • Can a re-inspection fee be processed on-line?
  • Answer: Yes.
  • Can a trim permit be processed on-line?
  • Answer: Yes. The original permit must be provided and the permit must meet the trim requirements.
  • How can I request an inspection?
  • Answer: Three ways:
    i. By e-mail - this is the recommended and easiest method. Log on to your account, locate and open the permit. Click on the button to request an inspection. Your inspector will receive an e-mail of your request and you will have a record of your request.
    ii. By phone - the inspectors number is found on your permit.
    iii. By fax - the number is found on the paper permit.
  • Who is authorized to request an inspection?
  • Answer: Only the permit holder.
  • How long is a permit valid?
  • Answer: Normally one year, but if a good reason for an extension is provided at the time of application, two years (but no more) can be allowed. If a one year permit has been issued, it can be extended six months one-time upon request. No additional fee is incurred.
  • What is the difference between a townhome and a condominium?
  • Answer: A townhome is like an individual residence except the side lots are 0 feet wide. A townhome is considered residential. A condo can be stacked on top of another condo and typically share common areas including some piping. A condo is commercial construction.
  • What is the difference between a mobile home and a manufactured home/modular home?
  • Answer: A mobile home is built in a factory but is designed with a chassis underneath to allow for mobility. A manufactured or modular home is built in a factory but is designed to be installed on a permanent foundation. Both have the interior plumbing inspected by another agency.
  • If I overpay on my permit, can I expect a refund?
  • Answer: No. The permit system does not allow for partial refunds on credit card purchases.
  • Can vacated permits be refunded?
  • Answer: Yes, as long as no inspections were performed and the request for refund is within 6 months of the permit issue date. You may also consider re-assigning this permit to a different project.
  • Could you briefly define the installations terminology used on the plumbing permit?
  • 1. Trap - a plumbing device to prevent sewer gas from entering the living space. Every plumbing fixture has its own trap. So counting traps is similar to counting fixtures: toilets, sinks, bathtub/shower, floor drains, clothes washers, dishwashers, etc.
    2. Water Hammer Arrestor - a plumbing device to prevent excess pressure surges caused by the sudden stop of water flow in water pipes. Typically found at dishwashers, clothes washers, icemakers, etc. that use fast closing electric valves to control water flow.
    3. Backflow preventer - a backflow preventer is a device installed in the water line(s) to prevent unsafe water from backing up and contaminating the drinking water. This is typically a pressure vacuum breaker, sill cock/hose bibb, residential fire suppression system, and boiler.
    4. Potable water fire heads - these are devices found in the ceilings generally and are designed to release water as a spray to extinguish a fire.
    5. Fuel Gas - typically it comes in two types; natural gas or propane (LPG).
    6. Line Pressure Regulator - also known as a step down regulator, this device reduce gas pressure from outside sources to workable pressure for an appliance. It does not include regulator(s) on the propane supply piping or the regulator at a natural gas meter.
       * Questions?     Check out the Definitions Page or Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ).