en espanol DORA State of Colorado

Frequently Asked Questions - How Do I . . .

Question MarkBanking

Banking FAQs
Banking - Consumer Helpful Links and Tips

Civil Rights

What You Need to Know Before Filing a Charge of Discrimination:

Financial Services

Financial Services FAQs


Insurance – Frequently Asked Questions and Fact Sheets

Office of Consumer Counsel

Office of Consumer Counsel (OCC) Fact Sheet

Office of Policy, Research and Regulatory Reform

Receiving DORA Regulatory Notices of State Agency Rulemaking Hearings 
Rules & Regulations  
Submitting Proposed Rules for Review  

Public Utilities Commission

Colorado Public Utilities Commission - For Your Information
Gas & Electric Issues
PUC Process
Relay Colorado (Commission on Disabled Telephone Users)
Telephone Issues
Transportation Issues
PUC Fingerprint Background Checks information
PUC Fingerprint-Based Criminal History Record Checks For Certain Drivers Of Passengers


Investment Advisors

Many of DORA's frequently asked questions are answered through use of the Occupational/Industry License Database which is maintained by the Colorado Office of Economic Development and International Trade.

Specific frequently asked questions relate to:

Attorney Complaints
Business Licensing
Building Contractors
Cable TV Regulation
Car Dealership Complaints
Day Care Centers
Debt Collectors

Liquor Licensing
Mortgage Loan Originators
Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist Coverage

I would like to complain about an attorney. Where would I call?
Contact the Office of Attorney Regulation, 1560 Broadway, Suite 1800, Denver, Colorado 80202. Our phone number is 303.866.6400, or toll free 1.877.888.1370.

Where do I get a business license?
Contact the Business Assistance Center within the Office of Economic Development and International Trade, 1625 Broadway Suite 1700,
Denver, CO 80202 - 303.892.3840 (Phone) - 303.892.3848 (Fax).

Who regulates building contractors?
Construction work is not licensed or regulated through the state, except for electrical and plumbing. The Electrical and Plumbing Boards can be reached at 303-894-2300. Consumers should also call the city and county in which they live for additional information on general building contractors.

Who regulates cable TV companies?
For problems with service, contact the city and county in which you live. For licensing, rules and regulations contact the FCC - 1-888-225-5322.

Where do I complain about a car dealership?
Consumers should call the Motor Vehicle Dealer Board at the Department of Revenue - 303-205-5604.

Who licenses day care centers?
Contact the Division of Child Care at the Department of Human Services - 303-866-5958.

Who regulates debt collectors?
Contact the Collection Agency Board at the Attorney General's Office - 303-866-5304.

Who regulates liquor licensing?
Contact the Department of Revenue, Liquor Enforcement Division at 303-205-2300.

Who regulates mortgage loan originators?
Effective July 1, 2006. mortgage loan originators must be licensed through the Division of Real Estate. Requirements for registration may be found at http://www.dora.state.co.us/real-estate/applications/mortgagebroker/index.htm.

A mortgage loan originator whose business is not limited exclusively to placing mortgage loans with institutional investors is subject to the mortgage broker-dealer licensing requirements under the state securities laws. Therefore, a mortgage broker who raises money from individual investors to fund mortgage loans would need to be licensed under the state securities laws through the Division of Securities.

What is Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist Coverage?
These types of coverage are addressed in the Frequently Asked Questions about Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist Coverage.

How Do I . . .

Search for banking institutions

File a charge of discrimination with the Colorado Civil Rights Division

Search for a Colorado licensed insurance agents and companies

Provide feedback to the Division of Insurance

Receive notices of state agencies' proposed rules

Search for permits registered with the Public Utilities Commission

Search for Colorado-licensed real estate brokers, appraisers or mortgage loan originators

Provide feedback to the Division of Real Estate

Search for board/program action document images from the Division of Registrations

Search for land surveyor monument records images

Consumer Protection